With the worst cold and flu season in history upon us, we wanted to share a few easy tips for boosting your immunity during flu season and to avoid getting sick.
The most important tip is to maintain a healthy well balanced diet full of whole foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains. (Remember; if your great grandmother wouldn’t recognize it, don’t eat it!)
Specific immunity boosters for extra defense:
- Vitamin C (citrus fruits)
- Omega 3 fats (fatty fish, walnuts and flax seeds)
- Beta carotene (Garlic, carrots and sweet potatoes)
- Probiotics, or the “live active cultures”, (healthy bacteria that keep the gut and intestinal tract free of disease-causing germs. Did you know that 70% of our immune system is located in our GI tract?)
- Vitamin E and Zinc
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink plenty of water and hot liquids like green tea. (Green tea super-charges your immune system!)
- Exercise daily to sweat out toxins- find an activity you enjoy, whether it’s yoga, running on the beach or walking your dog.
- Get enough sleep. Make sure that during the season of sickness, you take extra care of yourself by resting and reducing stress.